Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Historic Day

I look forward to telling my kids about this day. Today is an exciting day. We say that Obama is for "change," but the fact that he was even in the running, and now that he is our president is CHANGE. Just over 40 years ago, African Americans were not even allowed to vote. And today, an African American is president. I heard on NPR tonight that at the time Barack was born, his parent's marriage was illegal in like 16 states.

I am cautiously optimistic about what this means for America. I hope that it is a time for honesty, for new ideas, for (as my mom likes to call it, in reference to the fact that she married a white boy) "some chlorine in the gene pool." I hope it is a time for politics to be less driven by everyone scratching each other's backs, and about what America needs. Let's hope it is a time to be working together and not be polarizing by race and gender and political party and all that (although my cynical heart says that in that world there is rainbows every day and lollipop trees).

To add to the awesomeness of all this - my brother passed his electrician licensing exam today! IT is the culmination of what has been an awesome work of God. I am so so proud of him, and so so thankful to have my brother back...It was years, when I believed that it wasn't possible.

And one of the funniest things my brother has said lately...When I asked him what he wanted for Xmas, he told me he wanted some work pants or something, and that his cat, Chloe, wanted a sweatsuit that says "sweet" on the butt. I almost died laughing when he told me that.

No comments: